Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sun Magazine Entries!

The Sun Magazine is an art magazine for DODDs Pacific. I sent in photos I took and some poems I wrote. Here are my entries:

From One Story to Another

I’m from the lights, that blast down on your face.
From those long nights covered in paint,
Falling asleep wherever you can.

I’m from His words-the Book of Mormon-that give me instruction on my path.
Where anyone will help you if you need it,
From the lessons of Sisters you love.

I’m from the pages of anything placed in my hands,
From princesses to vampires to teenage life,
Where you learn about real life, and the want to be life.

I’m from the studio, where you could stay all night dancing,
Doing the thing that you love
From “Can I get Pointe shoes,” to “My knees hurt.”
Stretching until your legs hurt.

I’m from my room, with the multiple personalities.
From a fuzzy blanket to Japanese dark chocolate,
To Wicked to Debussy to Good Charlotte to The Phantom of the Opera to Blink 182
To the touch of my cat, Daisy.

I’m from my best friend, Sarah
When she moved I was heartbroken
From the random emails from each other.

I’m from an island,
For six years now.
From the green and blue,
Where it’s always wet.

I’m from Sundays,
Where you smell the pot roast all day,
And Jamaal is always there.

I’m from those moments-
From singing to dancing to rain
From books and books and books.

I Am What I Am Not Poem

I am not in love with lots of boys,
Nor do I need every guy to like me.

I’m not a skinny blonde,
that everyone wants to be.
But, I’m not a tomboy.
I distaste people who gossip.

I don’t suck at Ballet.
I avoid Volley Ball.
I don’t have any hand-eye coordination.

Broccoli is not my favorite vegetable,
And I don’t care what hotdogs are made of.

I don’t understand why people in the world today,
worry more about money than their families.
I can’t understand how some people don’t believe in God.
But, I don’t think that people with different beliefs are bad people.
I hate it how some people make up things about Mormons.

I don’t need a lot of money to have fun with friends.
I can’t imagine my self-living anywhere else,
besides Okinawa.

I am not perfect.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Robyn, your poetry is very nice. It is good that know who you are. Being honest about who we are brings us closer to who we want to become.